ID.me works with the Social Security Administration (SSA) to verify users requesting information online. ID.me provides secure digital identity verification to government agencies and healthcare providers to make sure you are you—and not someone pretending to be you. This article explains how to verify your identity for SSA.
How to verify
Follow the steps below to verify your identity.
1. Sign in to SSA
To begin the verification process, first sign in to your SSA account:
- Go to the Social Security login page.
- Select Sign in with ID.me.
- Select Ok to be redirected to the ID.me Sign in page.
2. Sign in or create an ID.me account
If you have an ID.me account, sign in using your email address and password. Otherwise, create a new ID.me account.
To create a new ID.me account:
- Enter your email address and password, then select Create account.
- Confirm your email address. For more information, visit Confirming your email address.
- Set up multi-factor authentication (MFA) to further protect your account. For more information, visit Getting started with MFA.
Tip: If you’re setting up MFA for the first time, make sure to save or download your recovery code to ensure you always have access to your ID.me account.
3. Verify your identity for SSA
You can use the self-service verification method to verify your identity for the SSA. To verify your identity using self-service:
- Upload photos of your document. Acceptable documents include driver’s license, state ID, passport, passport card. You may need to upload the front and back of your documents.
- Take and submit a video selfie.
Tip: If you're unable to take a video selfie, you’ll have the option to do a quick video call with a trusted referee. For more information, visit Best practices for taking a selfie.
- Enter your Social Security Number if you are creating a new account.
- Review and confirm your information.
- Select Allow and continue to share your identity information with SSA.
If you can’t complete the verification process due to an issue with your documents, you will be routed to verify your identity over a video call.
After you verify
After you verify your ID.me account, you can log in to your Social Security account by selecting Sign in with ID.me.
About the verification process
ID.me’s next-generation identity platform meets the highest federal standards for online identity proofing and authentication. During the verification process, you will be asked to share your information.
Manage your ID.me account
After creating your ID.me account, you can also manage your account settings.
- Change or add email addresses to your account.
- Reset your password.
- If you can’t access your ID.me account email address, need to reset your password, or see an error message, visit I can't sign in to my account.