You are in control of your data and can close your ID.me account at any time. This article explains what to know before closing your account, how to close it, and what happens after it’s closed.
If you’re having trouble
If you’re having trouble with the verification process, signing in to your account, or other issues, contact ID.me Support so we can help you fix the issue.
Delete your biometric data
If you would like to keep your ID.me account and credential, but delete your selfie and associated biometric information connected to your account, visit Deleting selfies and biometric information.
Before closing your account
Before closing your account, keep in mind:
- After you take steps to close your account, it will be permanently closed within 7 days.
- After your account is closed, you may use the same email address to create a new ID.me account. None of the information from your previous account can be recovered. You will be required to provide all necessary information if you want to re-verify.
- If you are using ID.me to verify your identity when applying for government benefits, closing your account may interrupt the verification process and may delay your application.
- Your identity will no longer be verified after your account is closed.
Close your account
To close your ID.me account:
- Sign in to your ID.me account.
- In the top menu, select Sign In & Security, then select Privacy.
- From the “My Data Rights” section, under “Manage my data”, select Remove my data.
- Select Close my account. Select a reason for closing your account.
- Select Yes, close my account.
After your account is closed
My account was suspended. Can I close it?
No. To close a suspended account, contact ID.me Support and select I lost access to my ID.me account.
Will I get my Cash Back balance back after my account is closed?
Balances over $10 will be automatically paid to your PayPal account during the next cycle.