If you already have an ID.me account but are asked to perform additional steps when logging in, this is to satisfy the stricter security requirements of the IRS. If you are not prompted to perform any additional steps, you already meet the requirements and no further action is required.
You may need:
- Smartphone or computer with a camera
- Email address
- Photo ID (Driver’s License, State ID, Passport or Passport Card)
- Social security number
Steps to upgrade your ID.me account for the IRS:
1. Choose an identity document type to submit, such as a Driver’s License or Passport.
2. Submit photos of your government photo ID using either your computer or smartphone.
If you are using a mobile phone, type in the phone number of the mobile phone that can take pictures. ID.me will text you a secure link that will open your phone camera.
If you previously uploaded a photo ID (Driver’s License, State ID, Passport, or Passport Card) to your ID.me account, you may be directed to upload a video selfie without uploading any documents.
For some identity documents—such as a Driver’s License, State ID or Passport Card—you must take a photo of the front and back. When the photos are to be submitted, select Continue.
3. Follow the instructions to take a video selfie with your mobile phone or computer.
To increase your chances for a successful video selfie submission, try to position your face in the center of the camera in a well-lit area.
Hats and glasses are ok as long as your face/features are visible.
If your attempt was unsuccessful, you will have the option to retry two more times. If your video selfie is not successful by your third attempt, you will be routed to verifying your identity with a Video Chat Agent.
4. Make sure that all your information is accurate and complete. If it is, select the box attesting that the information is accurate, and then select Continue.
Use the Edit buttons to make changes to your information before confirming.