The Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) works with ID.me to verify your identity for the External User Management System (XMS). This article explains the various ways to use ID.me at HHS.
If you are accessing the National Practitioner Data Bank (NPDB) and need to enable MFA and need to enable MFA, go to National Practitioner Data Bank and ID.me.
About the verification process
ID.me’s next-generation identity platform meets the highest federal standards for online identity proofing and authentication. During the verification process, you will be asked to share your information.
Before you verify
- For HHS XMS applications, you can use any of our multi-factor authentications (MFA) methods.
- If you created an ID.me account in the past, ensure you sign in to that account instead of creating a new one. It’s not possible to have more than one ID.me account.
Verify for HHS XMS
To get started, you will need to log in to HHS XMS using your ID.me account. The steps you take to verify depend on the application or information you need to access in the HHS XMS portal.
1. Log in to HHS XMS
To get started:
- Go to the HHS External User Management System and select Sign in with ID.me, then select Agree.
- Sign in to your ID.me account. If you haven't created an ID.me account, select Create an ID.me account.
- Complete sign in using multi-factor authentication (MFA) or set up MFA.
- Select Allow to give ID.me permission to share your identity information with HHS.
2. Verify to access other HHS XMS applications
To verify and access other XMS applications:
- In the upper right corner, select My Profile.
- Under the “Verify Your Identity” section, select Verify with ID.me. You’ll be prompted to sign in and complete multi-factor authentication (MFA) again.
- Select the document type you want to use to verify your identity and follow the prompts to upload the document.
Tip: Learn how to take photos of your documents.
- Take and submit a video selfie. Your selfie will only be used to confirm that the person in the selfie matches your government ID. After successfully verifying your identity, you may request that ID.me delete your biometric information.
Note: If selfie verification doesn’t work, you may need to verify with a Video Chat Agent.
- Enter your Social Security Number.
- Review your information and select Yes to confirm that it is accurate.
- Select Allow to share your information with HHS XMS.
After ID.me verifies your identity, you will receive a confirmation message as a way to protect you from fraud.
Video Chat Agent
If there is an issue verifying your identity using self-service, you may need to complete your verification by uploading additional documents and joining a video call. Wait times can vary, but you can schedule a video call appointment at a time that’s convenient for you.
You will need to have two primary documents or one primary document and one secondary document to complete the process. You may need to provide additional documentation:
You’ll need to present your physical documents on the video call.
Manage your ID.me account
After creating your ID.me account, you can also manage your account settings.
- Change or add email addresses to your account.
- Reset your password.
- If you can’t access your ID.me account email address, need to reset your password, or see an error message, visit I can't sign in to my account.
- Learn more about Getting started with multi-factor authentication.
- If you’re having trouble, visit Troubleshooting multi-factor authentication.
Who to contact for support
Who you need to contact for help depends on if you completed the verification process or not.
ID.me can help if you have trouble with the identity verification process. Common issues include:
- Account sign-in issues
- Uploading identification documents or selfies
- Fixing documents that were rejected
The partner you verify for can best help with questions and next steps after you complete the verification process. For example, you may have questions about benefits or services you verified for. Before contacting the partner:
- Confirm your verification was successful
- Confirm you shared your information with the partner
- Review our best practices and sample messages of how to request help from ID.me partners